If you make any purchases through the links on this site, please know that as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This costs you nothing extra.
The best toaster oven air fryers serve multiple functions in your kitchen.
We have to admit, we are a little biased. This is the type of air fryer we use most often and we love it! But what makes a good countertop convection air fryer? Lets dive in.
Simply put, it’s a multi function kitchen appliance that is basically a convection oven with an air fryer function. But that isn’t all. These handy little contraptions also bake, roast, rotisserie and more, depending on the model you get.
We have the Instant Vortex Pro 9 in 1, and it’s the best air fryer we’ve used so far. And best of all, there are so many accessories that work in this type of air fryer. It’s sort of like having an over-sized toaster oven that does it all!
So which one is the best? There are a few that top the list. We’ll cover their pros and cons, and then down below, we’ll help you figure out how to pick the best one for you. Lets take a look.
We admit, we are a little biased. As we mentioned, this is our favorite air fryer to date. It just does “all the things”. It makes fantastic rotisserie chicken that turns out perfect every single time. Roasted veggies get roasted to perfection in the rotating roasting basket and frozen foods turn out perfectly cooked each and every time. We’ve made tons of healthy meals in this too! Chicken breasts, homemade chicken nuggets, baked potatoes and so much more. So far, everything has cooked perfectly and the air fryer seems to be chugging along without a single issue.
If we could pick one thing to complain about, it’s that, despite the easy-to-clean removable parts, the unit itself can be kind of a challenge to clean. Inside and particularly around the door hinges. But that is our one and only compliant. Not bad for a small appliance we use daily!
- Cook with much less fat than if you were to fry your food and still get a crispy outside.
- Can replace your oven, toaster oven, dehydrator and rotisserie.
- Cooks food in half the time of a regular oven.
- Makes the best rotisserie chicken ever!
- Easy to clean removable parts that are dishwasher safe.
- Tells you when to flip or turn your food.
- Roasting basket makes amazing fries that tumble as they cook.
- The inside of the machine, while not hard to reach, can be a little hard to clean.
- There is a warmup period (not really a big deal, but worth mentioning)
- Getting the roasting basket in and out takes a little practice with pot holders.
- It off gasses on the first few uses. Make sure to do the initial test run in a well ventilated area.
- Dimensions – 18 x 16.2 x 15.8 inches
- Weight – 21.9 lbs.
- Capacity – 10 quarts
- Wattage – 1500 W
- Manufacturer – Instant Pot
- Phone: 1-800-828-7280
- Website: instantpot.com
- Address: Instant Pot, Ottawa Head Office, 495 March Road, Suite 200,, Kanata, ON, Canada K2K 3G1
- Email: email@example.com
- 7 functions: air fry, convection bake, convection broil, bake, broil, warm, toast
- Adjustable thermostat with 60-minute timer/auto shutoff.
- Toast shade selector-timer.
- Includes: oven rack, baking pan, air fryer rack/basket.
- Removable parts are not dishwasher safe.
- Complaints about the timer being inaccurate.
- Complaints about the quality of the trays and being hard to clean.
- Dimensions – 15. 50 x 16. 00 x 14. 00 inches
- Weight – 21 lb.
- Capacity – quarts unclear – We are guessing 10 quarts, as it will cook a 4 lb. whole chicken
- Wattage – 1800 W
- Manufacturer – Cuisinart
- Phone: 1-800-726-0190
- Website: www.cuisinart.com
- Address: Cuisinart Customer Service, 150 Milford Rd., East Windsor, NJ 08520
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Measure the internal temperature of your food while it cooks with its digital probe.
- Automatic shutoff when food reaches correct temperature.
- Twelve functions include: air frying, baking, broiling, roasting, toasting, grilling, dehydrating, reheating, defrosting.
- Cooking temperature goes up to 450 F.
- Made of good quality materials – stainless steel exterior.
- Needs at least 5 inches of space around the appliance for ventilation.
- Some people complain about the digital probe not functioning properly.
- Dimensions – 20 x 13.5 x 11 inches
- Weight – 18.96 lb.
- Capacity – 1 cubic foot
- Wattage – 1800 W
- Manufacturer – NUWAVE, LLC
- Phone: 1-877-689-2838
- Website: nuwavenow.com
- Address: 1795 N. Butterfield Road, Libertyville, IL 60048-1227
- Email: email@example.com
When it comes to choosing a toaster oven air fryer, there are three things you’ll want to consider.
We have mentioned several times on this site (and for good reason!), that size matters. There are three things to consider here. Not only the available space on your countertop, but also the outside dimensions of your toaster oven air fryer, as well as the internal food capacity.
- Countertop space – If space is limited, measure what space you do have. Keep in mind you’ll want to leave at least a 5 inch space all the way around your air fryer for good ventilation and air circulation.
- Outside dimensions of your toaster oven air fryer – They obviously need to fit within that measured space. Just remember that leaving some open space around your air fryer is critical.
- Food capacity – Most often measured in quarts (but sometimes in pounds or liters), the bigger the better. You will always want to pick the largest amount of food capacity for your given external measurements.
While some brands come and go, you’ll want a brand that has been around a while. Fly-by-night companies rarely make good appliances. So make sure you choose a brand with history and reputation.
This will also become important if you need replacement parts. Some companies provide them, and others do not. This, in and of itself, doesn’t mean the air fryer will be bad, but it does make thing more difficult when all you need is one item to keep your air fryer going and the company doesn’t sell them. It’s frustrating and adds to our landfills when you inevitably end up throwing out your air fryer. So make sure the brand you choose is reputable, has been around a while and offers replacement parts when you need them.
Of all the types of air fryers, toaster oven air fryers are our favorite type of air fryer for a reason. The one we have has almost completely replaced the use of our oven (except maybe on Thanksgiving!). Possible functions on a toaster oven air fryer are:
- Air Frying
Air Fryer Wattage
The wattage on your air fryer will be an important factor when choosing which air fryer is best for you. Make sure the electrical in your home can handle the wattage of your air fryer. This will be a bigger concern for those who live in older homes. But either way, it should definitely be included in your decision making when purchasing an air fryer.
Air Fryer Pricing
Pricing will vary, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for here. While air fryers are not known for their long lifespans, these toaster oven air fryers seem to really stay the course more than most. So these are not the worst appliance to sink a little money into. You don’t have to go crazy and get the top-of-the-line, but if you shoot for a middle-of-the-road price, you’ll most likely get a pretty decent toaster oven air fryer. You can click the air fryer photos above to check their pricing on amazon.
Air Fryer Warranties
As we’ve mentioned before, air fryers are not well known for their long lifespans. At least not currently. Companies just don’t make things that last very long anymore, and this is very true for air fryers. That being said, if you have a good warranty, you’ll be in good shape.
Many air fryers come with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty. But these are rarely what you need, when you need it. Your best bet is to purchase an extended warranty if it’s available. Just make sure you read it and understand what it will do for you if your air fryer breaks down or gives out completely.
Air Fryer Noise
Every air fryer will make noise. Some of them are noisier than others.
Do Toaster Oven Air Fryers Smoke?
For the most part, some smoke is normal. This is why ventilation is important. But it should never be smokey enough to set off a smoke alarm. A little is normal. A lot, is not.
- Fries – There are three types of fries you can cook. Frozen, fresh and sweet potato fries. The most common compliant is that they end up soggy. If you have a rotating basket (like the Instant Vortex Pro), then all you need to do is increase cooking time. If the outside gets too crispy and the inside is too soggy, simply lower the temperature and cook longer.
- Whole chicken – Start cooking your chicken, breast side down. Flip half way through cooking. If you have a rotisserie, you’ll want to pin the wings and legs like you would a Thanksgiving turkey.
- Bacon – You will need to flip this half way through. Cook bacon on the lower shelf so the bacon doesn’t get blown around as it cooks. We have found that 8 minutes at 400 F. works great. But every air fryer cooks a little different, so check air fryer cooking times here and adjust for your own air fryer as needed.
General Cooking Tips For Toaster Oven Air Fryers
- Make sure your food has some room between it on the shelves.
- Single layers cook best.
- Turn or flip food at least once during cooking, if not more.
- Never use aerosol cooking sprays in toaster oven air fryers or any type of air fryer. It will erode the coating on your basket or tray.
- If you are cooking something that is small and/or very lightweight, place it on the bottom shelf of your air fryer and keep an eye on it. The fans in air fryers are powerful. They can blow very light food around and sometimes it can get stuck in the fan, which is a huge hazard.
- Remember that every air fryer has it’s own “personality” that you need to get to know. Cooking times on cooking charts are great starting points, but may not be exactly right for your own, individual air fryer. So if you have a printable chart, make sure you take notes next to each food listed on the exact time (and sometimes even temperature) that it takes to cook any given food.
- If your tray, basket or bowl don’t have a non-stick surface (and sometimes, even if they do!), you’ll want to spritz them with a little oil before putting your food in for cooking so the food doesn’t stick to the tray, basket or bowl. That being said, most of the non-stick surfaces on these items do a good job of keeping food from sticking. But better safe than sorry!
- If you are cooking something quite fatty, putting a couple tablespoons of water in the drip pan/bowl/basket can help cut down on the smoke that very fatty foods often produce in an air fryer.
- Line your tray or basket with foil only if the food you are cooking is heavy enough to weigh it down during cooking. This is a great hack for things like chicken with some sort of sticky sauce.