If you love pizza, this air fryer french bread pizza could be perfect for your next pizza night.
French bread pizza is delicious comfort food that comes together in minutes and cook just as quickly, particularly in an air fryer.
Why Make Pizza This Way?
Well… we could give you many reasons. But the main reason is, it’s crazy delicious! And versatile…. and will fit any size air fryer… and can be made healthy… and pairs well with a green salad for a complete and easy meal. Just, so. many. reasons.
French Bread Pizza In An Air Fryer
Pizza bread, or french bread pizza can be purchased frozen at the grocery store, or made from scratch at home. Homemade is typically healthier, depending on the ingredients used. But either one will cook really well in an air fryer.
How To Cook Frozen French Bread Pizza In An Air Fryer
Making this type of pizza from frozen in an air fryer is a very simple process.
- Preheat your oven to 400F.
- Remove the frozen pizza bread from it’s packaging
- Place the frozen pizza bread in your pre-heated air fryer basket or on the tray (depending on what style of air fryer you have) and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- When it’s finished, use a pot holder or tongs to remove the french bread pizza from the air fryer and transfer it to a plate. Allow it to cool slightly before serving.
- Note that if it’s not cooked enough for your liking, you can continue the cooking process in 1 minute intervals until it gets as browned as you like.
How To Make Air Fryer French Bread Pizza
If you are making french bread pizza from scratch, choose your ingredients with purpose if you want it to be healthy. A whole grain baguette, pizza sauce without any added sugars, good-for-you toppings and so forth.
If a healthier version is not your preference, simply pick up your favorites and build your pizza. Note that in this recipe, the first layer of toppings is butter. We do this on purpose because when you make french bread pizza in an air fryer from scratch, the bread can tend to get a little dried out during the cooking process. To solve this problem, we spread a thin layer of butter over the bread first to keep it moist. You can use an oil sprayer too if you prefer to cut back even further on the fat. A protective layer of oil or butter will keep your french bread soft with a crispy outside.
Check out the best oil spray for air fryers here.
Make sure you cut the baguette down to a size that will actually fit into your air fryer first. Then cut it in half horizontally and put your toppings on, starting with a layer of oil or butter.
Preheat your air fryer to 400F. and then place your french bread pizzas inside.
Cook for 5 minutes, or until it reaches your preferred level of doneness.
Remove from the air fryer with tongs and allow to cool for a few minutes on a plate before biting into it. These pizzas can really hold their heat! (As can anything with cheese on it.)
Serve with a green salad to round out the meal!
Check out the best air fryer tongs here.
Why Not Just Make Air Fryer Pizza?
Pizza bread is a different experience than regular pizza. The “crust” (bread) is thicker, lighter and softer in many cases than actual pizza dough cooked in an air fryer. Cooking any type of bread well in an air fryer can require walking a bit of a fine line. So it’s important consider what you want the finished dish to be like.
Air fryer pizza is delicious stuff! But french bread pizza is too, and for different reasons. Give it a try to see which you prefer! Plus, pizza bread will fit in your air fryer much easier than most pizzas will, depending on the size air fryer you have. So sometimes, you have to opt for the french bread pizza because you have a smaller air fryer. Nothing wrong with that!
The Perfect Air Fryer For Making Pizza!
French Bread Pizza Recipe
So let’s get to the actual recipe. Remember, if you are making this from scratch, you’ll want your first layer to be a thin layer of oil or butter. From there, you build your pizza like you normally would. Here’s how we make ours!
Air Fryer French Bread Pizza
- Air Fryer
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped, red onion (chop fine)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (chop fine)
- 8 oz. package mushrooms (we buy the thinly sliced ones)
- 6 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 standard french baguette (white or whole grain)
- 1 cup pizza sauce (or marinara)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (or cheddar)
- extra oil or butter for first layer on bread
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F.
- Warm the oil in a skillet.
- Add in the onions, peppers and mushrooms and sauté until the onions are translucent and everything is well cooked.
- Stir in the minced garlic and continue sautéing for 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut your baguette vertically into pieces that will fit into your air fryer. We had a small baguette, so for us, we just cut it in half. You may need to cut smaller pieces based on the size of your air fryer.
- Cut each piece horizontally to open up the bread.
- On each cut surface, spread a light coat of butter or oil. Just enough to lightly cover the cut side of the bread.
- Spread your sauce over the baguette.
- Spoon on the sautéd vegetables and then cover with cheese.
- Place the pizzas in the preheated air fryer.
- Air fry for 5 minutes, or until they reach your desired level of golden brown.
- Use air fryer-friendly tongs to remove the pizza bread from the air fryer.
- Cool slightly and serve with a green salad to round out the meal.
Here are a few of our favorite air fryer cookbooks that are great for beginner and experienced air fry masters alike.