Air Fryer Toaster Strudel Recipe
If you make any purchases through the links on this site, please know that as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This costs you nothing extra.
Get free email updates with every new post or recipe! Sign up here.
Air Fryer Toaster Strudel is a delicious start to your morning, easily made from scratch, the night before, for a quick and tasty breakfast!
Pastries for breakfast are an American classic. We love our morning pastries, and who can blame us!? It’s good stuff!
But American’s aren’t the only ones who enjoy a good breakfast pastry. A good portion of the world has designated, what technically should be dessert, to the breakfast category. Often with a good cup of coffee to offset all the sweetness.
What Is Toaster Strudel?
Toaster strudel is strictly and American treat, despite its Germanic sounding name. It’s a highly processed and manufactured pastry that is mass produced and distributed to grocery store freezer sections all over the country.
Typically, you pull it out of it’s packaging, pop it in the toaster, and in a minute or so, you have a perfectly toasted, warm and gooey pastry. It’s a sugar coma waiting to happen.
Homemade Toaster Strudel
As most people know, nothing beats homemade. A home cooked meal is always going to taste better than something from the freezer section. And thankfully, a good homemade toaster strudel is easy to make and can be made either the morning of, or the night before.
Easily made with puff pastry dough, this toaster strudel is on a whole other level. The flakey crust and delicious jam with a simply icing are so much more flavorful than the stuff you buy at the store.
How Do You Make Toaster Strudels Without A Toaster?
There are a few options for making toaster strudel without a toaster.
- Microwave – Cook for 30 seconds on high.
- Pan – You have to watch the heat carefully, but you can warm these in a pan, which will also give you that nice crisp outer crust to go with it. It’s often better to thaw them a bit first though if you want to cook them this way. Truth be told, cooking these in a pan is more of a finishing technique for getting a crispy crust after warming them a microwave. But in a pinch…
- Oven – You can bake them in the oven at 375 F. for 8-10 minutes on each side (16-20 minutes total baking time)
- Toaster Oven – Bake at 350 F. for 9-10 minutes.
- Air fryer – Obviously…
How To Air Fry Toaster Strudel
If you prefer the convenience of the store bought variety, here’s how to cook it in your air fryer.
- Simply unpack the strudel and place in a single layer in your air fryer basket or tray.
- Set the temperature to 350 F.
How long do you cook a Toaster Strudel?
Air fry for 5 to 7 minutes. Drizzle on the package icing and serve.
Jam For Homemade Toaster Strudel
While this recipe uses strawberry jam, you can make any flavor you prefer. Here are some suggestions:
- Blueberry jam
- Raspberry jam
- Apricot preserves
- Cherry pie filling
- Cream Cheese & Strawberry jam
- Cinnamon and raspberry preserves
- Apple pie filling
- Cream cheese and cinnamon with apple pie filling
- Cream cheese filling for danishes
- Pumpkin pie filling (good with a bit of sweet cream cheese added!)
- Lemon curd (Here’s the best lemon curd recipe we’ve ever had!)
- Banana cream pie filling
- Custard of any kind
Air Fryer Toaster Strudel Recipe Tips
No matter what you stuff them with, here are some tips to help them turn out great every time.
- Make sure you press the edges together really well so your filling doesn’t leak out during cooking.
- Don’t over fill the strudel. It’s tempting to want to really pack the filling in there, but stick to the called-for amount for the called-for pastry size. Over filling your pastries will result in a huge, burnt mess.
- If using cream cheese as part of your filling, it’s often best to whisk a little milk into the cream cheese to make it more fluid. Then mix in the other flavors and mix well. It should be a scoop-able consistency.
- While this recipe doesn’t call for it, if you want crispier crust, you can lightly spritz each side of your pastry with an oil spray. (Check out our recommendation for the best air fryer oil spray here)
Tools For Making Air Fryer Toaster Strudel
Air Fryer Toaster Strudel Ingredients
2 sheets puff pastry – This is standard puff pastry dough found in the freezer section of your local grocery store. If you want to make these a little healthier, some stores carry a whole wheat puff pastry that is pretty good.
¾ cup strawberry jam – Use your favorite filling here. If you want to make these healthier, use a 100% fruit spread without any added sugar.
Toaster Strudel Icing Ingredients
½ cup powdered sugar – This is just regular powdered sugar. Nothing fancy or special.
2 tbsp. heavy cream – In a pinch, you can also use regular milk. But heavy cream makes the icing thicker and richer.
2 tsp. vanilla extract – Use the real stuff here. Vanilla flavoring is always second best. However, in a pinch, it will work.
How To Make Air Fryer Toaster Strudel
Collect all measured ingredients on a clean work surface.
Cut the puff pastry into evenly sized rectangles. If using store bought sheets, sheets come folded. Cut folded brick in half and then unfold and cut along the folds. This will yield 12 evenly sized sheets.
Take one sheet and place a tablespoon of jam in the middle leaving ½ inch of border along all sides. With water on your fingertip, dampen the pastries’ boarders. Sandwich blank pastry treat on top the jammed pastry sheet. Press down the edges of the sheets sealing the jam in.
Place two pastries in the air fryer basket (or more if your air fryer has the room) and cook on 350 F. for 5 minutes. Flip carefully and cook for 2 more minutes.
Remove and let cool before icing. While pastries are cooling, mix together powdered sugar, cream and vanilla. Once pastries have cooled, ice each pastry and enjoy.
What Do You Need To Make Homemade Toaster Strudel In Your Air Fryer?
Here are the tools we used to make this deliciousness.
Print The Recipe
Air Fryer Toaster Strudel
- Air Fryer
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- ¾ cup strawberry jam (or any flavor you like)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Collect all measured ingredients on a clean work surface.
- Cut the puff pastry into evenly sized rectangles. If using store bought sheets, sheets come folded. Cut folded brick in half and then unfold and cut along the folds. This will yield 12 evenly sized sheets.
- Take one sheet and place a tablespoon of jam in the middle leaving ½ inch of border along all sides. With water on your fingertip, dampen the pastries’ boarders. Sandwich blank pastry treat on top the jammed pastry sheet. Press down the edges of the sheets sealing the jam in.
- Place two pastries in the air fryer basket (or more if your air fryer has the room) and cook on 350 F. for 5 minutes. Flip carefully and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove and let cool before icing. While pastries are cooling, mix together powdered sugar, cream and vanilla. Once pastries have cooled, ice each pastry and enjoy.